Dell PowerEdge 1900
Released January, 2006
The Pros:Overall workmanship is great, sturdy and durable build. Solid work horse gives reliable service day after day. Doesn't need frequent rebooting or maintenance.
The Cons:Need to double-check all features when it comes in, some QC issues reported. Has a big footprint, takes up a fair amount of room. Heavier than most computers, need an extra strong guy or two people to move it.
The Dell PowerEdge 1900 is an entry level 2-socket tower server and is a step up from the PowerEdge 840 from Dell's PowerEdge tower server series. It is recommended by Dell as an affordable, fully-featured server for medium-sized businesses and remote offices.
The server offers better remote management and expandability than the PowerEdge 840, making it suitable for handling file/print sharing, LAN, Group messaging, and database applications. The standard specifications of the PowerEdge 1900 include dual 1.60Ghz Intel Quad Core Xeon processors, 4GB of fully-buffered DIMM memory, and a 160GB SATA hard drive. It also has an onboard SATA controller, embedded Gigabit ethernet network card, DVD-ROM drive, and an integrated ATI ES1000 graphics card with 16MB of internal SDRAM.
Most of the specifications of the server can be upgraded or downgraded based on the buyer's needs and additional options such as PCI Express expansion, external storage, or a removable disk and tape drive are also available. The PowerEdge 1900 can house up to 6 hard drives and is compatible with SAS drives which are faster and more reliable than SATA drives, allowing it to potentially hold a total of 6TB of storage with SAS and SATA drives. The server offers a variety of ports including a total of 6 USB ports and operates on either Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, or Red Hat Linux Enterprise. It has a starting price of $4046 and is covered by a 3 year limited warranty.
- Dual Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X5310 processors, 2x4M Cache, 1.60GHz,1066MHz FSB
- 4GB (4x1GB) Fully-buffered DIMM memory, upgradeable up to 16GB
- Chassis with Non-Hot Swap Drives for PE840
- Visible LCD display
- Onboard SATA, 1 Drive connected to Onboard SATA Controller
- 160GB 7.2K RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive
- Compatible with up to 6TB (6 x 1TB each) Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS) hard drives
- Embedded Broadcom NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet Network Card
- DVD-ROM Drive
- PCI Express expansion
- Front Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x video
- Rear Ports: 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x video, 1 x serial, 1 x PCI video, 1x RJ45
- Integrated ATI ES1000 controller graphics card with 16MB of SDRAM
- Dell OpenManageTM 5.5 systems management tools included
- Electronic Documentation and OpenManage DVD Kit Included
- Additional option for removable disk and tape drive
- Additional option for external storage interconnect
- Windows Server®2003, Standard Edition
- Dimensions: 17.28"H x 7.80"W x 19.68"D
- 3 year limited warranty and support
User Reviews (5)
overall workmanship is great, sturdy and durable build
solid work horse gives reliable service day after day
doesn't need frequent rebooting or maintenance
need to double-check all features when it comes in, some QC issues reported
has a big footprint, takes up a fair amount of room
heavier than most computers, need an extra strong guy or two people to move it
fans are a bit noisy, can always hear them
You may also like...