Dell PowerEdge 2970
Released January, 2008
The Pros:Great for use with VMware - compatible with a Dell-specific build. Good price/performance ratio - very competitive when compared to HP's ProLiant line. Available in an 'Energy Smart' version - reduces energy consumption for lower overall operating costs.
The Cons:Doesn't have a split backplane option. The energy-efficient model doesn't include a remote management card.
The Dell PowerEdge 2970 is a high performance 2-socket 2U rack server from Dell's PowerEdge rack optimized server series. The server is recommended by Dell for large-sized businesses and remote offices that need both expandability and rack density.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
It offers a high level of security and manageability and is also available in an energy efficient format with onboard power monitoring capabilities and energy-efficient components. The standard specifications of the PowerEdge 2970 include dual 2.0Ghz AMD Quad Core Opteron processors, 4GB of DIMM memory, and three 73GB SAS hard drives. It also has integrated SAS/SATA RAID 5, PERC 5/i, and PERC 6/i and dual embedded Gigabit ethernet cards.
Most of the specifications of the server can be upgraded or downgraded based on the buyer's needs and additional options such as a removable disk, tape drive, external storage, and visualization offerings are also available. The PowerEdge 2970 can house up to 8 hard drives and is compatible with both SAS and SATA drives allowing it to potentially hold a total of 8TB of storage. The server includes a Dell remote access card allowing for remote management of the server and has a Trusted Platform Module to support a variety of security software and features. It has a starting price of $4622 and is covered by a 3 year limited warranty.
- 2 x Quad Core AMD Opteron™ 2350,4x512K Cache,2.0GHz,1Ghz HyperTransport
- 4GB 667MHz (4x1GB), Single Ranked DIMMs, Upgradeable to 64GB
- Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 5, PERC 5/i Integrated, PERC 6/i Integrated
- 1x8 Backplane for 2.5-inch Hard Drives
- PERC 5/i, x8 Backplane, Integrated Controller Card
- 3 x 73GB 15K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive
- Dual Embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
- Dell Remote Access Card, 5th Generation for PowerEdge Remote Management
- Electronic Documentation and OpenManage DVD Kit
- Optional VMware or Citrix XenServer visualization offerings
- Trusted Platform Module
- Optional Tape Backup and External Storage
- Non-Redundant Power Supply
- 3 year warranty and support
User Reviews (2)
great for use with VMware - compatible with a Dell-specific build
good price/performance ratio - very competitive when compared to HP's ProLiant line
available in an 'Energy Smart' version - reduces energy consumption for lower overall operating costs
good airflow - supports a large front grille, and has a tidy interior
good storage fault tolerance - includes Dell's PERC 5i RAID controller and a battery backup pack
low noise levels - won't be too loud
doesn't have a split backplane option
the energy-efficient model doesn't include a remote management card
You may also like...