Dell PowerEdge 840
Released January, 2006
The Pros:Sophisticated management tools take care of most common tasks. Fully compatible with Linux and Trixbox CE. Long life cycle, will typically last for years of heavy use.
The Cons:Only enough space for 4 internal hard drives. Difficult to work with the SATA drivers on VMWare. Support for ESXi is lacking.
The Dell PowerEdge 840 is a basic 1-socket tower server and is at the bottom of Dell's PowerEdge tower server series, coming in under the PowerEdge 1900. It is recommended by Dell as an affordable, fully-featured server for small to medium-sized businesses, remote offices, and retail locations and is designed to handle file/print sharing, email, POS, and shared internet.
The standard specifications of the PowerEdge 840 include a 2.40Ghz Intel Quad Core Xeon processor, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, and a 160GB SATA hard drive. It also has an onboard SATA controller, onboard Gigabit network adapter, DVD-ROM drive, and an integrated ATI ES1000 graphics card with 16MB of internal SDRAM.
Most of the specifications of the server can be upgraded or downgraded based on the buyer's needs. The PowerEdge 840 can house up to 6 hard drives and is compatible with SAS drives which are faster and more reliable than SATA drives, allowing the system to potentially hold a total of 4TB of storage with SAS and SATA drives. The server offers a variety of ports including a total of 4 USB ports and operates on either Windows Server 2008, Windows Business Server 2003 R2, or Red Hat Linux Enterprise. It has a starting price of $2824 and is covered by a 3 year limited warranty.
- Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X3220, 2x4M Cache, 2.40GHz,1066MHz FSB
- 1GB (2x512) DDR2 RAM, upgradeable up to 8GB
- Chassis with Non-Hot Swap Drives for PE840
- Onboard SATA, 1 Drive connected to Onboard SATA Controller
- 160GB 7.2K RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive
- Compatible with up to 4TB (4 x 1TB each) Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS) hard drives
- Onboard Single Gigabit Network Adapter
- Electronic Documentation and OpenManage DVD Kit
- DVD-ROM Drive
- Front Ports: 2 x USB 2.0
- Rear Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x serial, 1 x video, 1x RJ45, 2x PS2
- Integrated ATI ES1000 controller graphics card with 16MB of SDRAM
- Windows Server®2008, Standard Edition
- Dimensions: 17.28"H x 7.80"W x 19.68"D
- 3 year limited warranty and support
User Reviews (4)
sophisticated management tools take care of most common tasks
fully compatible with Linux and Trixbox CE
long life cycle, will typically last for years of heavy use
runs stable for long periods of time without needing to be checked on
only enough space for 4 internal hard drives
difficult to work with the SATA drivers on VMWare
support for ESXi is lacking
You may also like...