Dell PowerEdge R900
Released March, 2008
The Pros:High performance, can handle heavy loads gracefully. Well set up as a virtualisation platform. Full remote server management makes running it 24/7 much easier.
The Dell PowerEdge R900 is a high performance rack server and is Dell's most powerful Intel-based server from their rack optimized series. The server is capable of providing up to 6-core processing, 256GB of DIMM memory, and up to 2.0TB of internal storage.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
It is recommended by Dell for large-sized businesses and enterprise applications that require high visualization performance. It offers improved scalability, memory, and I/O capabilities than Dell's previous model and has an Energy Smart power supply for higher efficiency.
The standard specifications of the PowerEdge R900 include four 1.6Ghz Intel Quad Core Xeon processors, 4GB of DIMM memory, and dual 73GB SAS hard drives. It also has an internal SAS Drive controller, four embedded Gigabit network cards, and a SATA DVD-ROM drive. Most of the specifications of the server can be upgraded or downgraded based on the buyer's needs and additional options such as a tape drive, fiber channel HBA, external storage controller, and visualization offerings are also available. The PowerEdge R900 has seven PCI-Express slots and can house 5 hard drives with compatibility for both SAS and SATA drives. The server includes a Dell remote access card allowing for remote management of thesystem and has a Trusted Platform Module to support a variety of security software and features. It has a starting price of $13,286 and is covered by a 4 year warranty.
- Can handle up to 6-core processing
- 4x Quad Core E7310 Xeon, 1.6GHz, 4M Cache, 80W, 1066Mhz FSB
- 4GB 667MHz (4x1GB), Single Ranked DIMMs, Upgradeable to 256GB
- Internal SAS Drive Controller
- 1X8 SAS Backplane
- 2 x 73GB 10K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI Hard Drives
- Maximum Internal Storage: 2.0TB (5 x 400GB)
- Internal 8x DVD-ROM Drive
- 7 x PCI-Express slots
- 4 x Fully Integrated Broadcom® 5708 Gigabit Network Cards, TOE Capable
- Dell Remote Access Card, 5th Generation for PowerEdge Remote Management
- Optional VMware or Citrix XenServer visualization offerings
- Optional Fiber Channel HBA
- Optional Tape Backup and External Storage Controller
- Trusted Platform Module
- 4 year warranty and support
User Reviews (1)
high performance, can handle heavy loads gracefully
well set up as a virtualisation platform
full remote server management makes running it 24/7 much easier
excellent airflow in the chassis design, easy to keep cool
plenty of expansion potential to keep the system useful for years
hard drives can be hot-swapped fairly easily, design gives good access to the bays
neat and tidy interior design, makes component replacement and cooling both very easy
large passive heatsinks on each processor, means less fans needed and a quieter system
You may also like...