Released February, 2009
The Pros:Enough power to handle a small office full of people with room to grow. Large tower design makes it easy to get inside and make upgrades. Full remote management possible through the IMM, can even run diagnostics.
The Cons:Larger footprint than most servers, takes up a fair amount of room.
The IBM x3400 is an entry level & low-cost server for growing businesses and branch offices that rely on 24/7 availability and mission-critical applications. A step up from the IBM x3200 M2, the IBM x3400 offers support for either dual Intel Xeon Quad-Cores up to 2.6GHz or dual Intel Xeon Dual-Cores up to 1.86GHz, a maximum memory of 1GB, and internal storage up to 2.4TB with hot-swap SAS, 3.0TB with simple-swap SATA, or 6.0TB with hot-swap SATA.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
In addition, the IBM x3400 comes chockfull of features such as dual-socket computing power optimized for up to eight cores at lower power usage per core, Calibrated Vectored Cooling that helps prolong system life by helping keep internal components cool, and an Integrated System Management Processor that provides around-the-clock remote management capabilities. The IBM x3400 retails from anywhere between $750 to $2750 depending on the specifics (e.g. RAM, Drives, etc) chosen, and comes with a 1-3 year limited warranty.
- Form factor/height: Tower/5U
- Processor: Dual-Core Intel® Xeon Processor 5205 up to 1.86 GHz and up to 1066 MHz front-side bus or Quad-Core Intel® Xeon Processor E5430 up to 2.66 GHz and up to 1333 MHz front-side bus
- Number of processors (std/max): 1/2
- Memory: 1 GB/32 GB Fully Buffered DIMM 667 MHz via 8 DIMM slots
- Expansion slots: 3 PCI-Express, 2 PCI-X and 1 PCI
- Disk bays (total/hot-swap): 4/0 or 8/8 (model dependent)
- Maximum internal storage: 6.0 TB hot-swap SATA, 2.4 TB hot-swap SAS, or 3.0 TB simple-swap SATA
- Network interface: Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
- Power Supply: 670W 1/1 or 835W 1/2
- Raid Support: Integrated RAID-0/-1/-10, optional RAID-5
- Systems Management: Automatic Server Restart; IBM Predictive Failure Analysis® on hard disk drives, processors, VRMs, fans and memory; integrated IPMI System Management Processor; IBM Systems Director; optional Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine and IBM ServerGuide™
- Operating systems supported: Microsoft® Windows Server® 2003, Red Hat Linux®, SUSE Linux, Novell NetWare, VMware ESX Server, SCO UnixWare, SCO OpenServer
- Limited warranty: 1-year or 3-year customer replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty
User Reviews (1)
enough power to handle a small office full of people with room to grow
large tower design makes it easy to get inside and make upgrades
full remote management possible through the IMM, can even run diagnostics
can handle an extreme amount of RAM if needed
hard drives are hot-swappable, making one less reason to reboot the server and interrupt everyone's transactions
surprisingly quiet for such a large case with so many fans
don't need any tools for most components, everything can be done by hand
larger footprint than most servers, takes up a fair amount of room
You may also like...