Released February, 2009
The Pros:Flexible setup and optional components. Works with both 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch SAS drives for raw storage. Good support for virtualisation, comes with feature-rich management tools.
The Cons:Ethernet cable retention widget is unusual, takes some getting used to. Power button is recessed and tiny, need a reference diagram to even find it.
The IBM x3550 is an Intel Xeon-based double-socket commercial application server designed for the high-speed performance and application density required for power-managed data centers. It supports two Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processors X5270 up to 3.5GHz or two Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors X5470 up to 3.33GHz, a maximum of 32GB of high-performance memory, and internal storage up to 600GB SAS, 2.0TB simple-swap SATA, or 293.6GB hot-swap SAS.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
In addition, the IBM x3550 offers notable features such as optimized power management with integrated tools such as IBM Systems Direct Active Energy Manager, calibrated vectored cooling for keeping system components well-cooled, and a TCP-IP Offload Engine that improves system performance by offloading protocol processing from the CPU to a separate engine or code. The IBM x3550 retails from anywhere between $1000 to $4000 depending on the specifics (e.g. RAM, Drives, etc) chosen, and comes with a 1-3 year limited warranty.
- Form factor/height: Rack/1U
- Processor: Dual-Core Intel® Xeon® X5270 up to 3.5 GHz and up to 1333 MHz front-side bus or Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® X5470 up to 3.33 GHz and up to 1333 MHz front-side bus
- Number of processors (std/max): 1/2
- Memory: 1 GB or 32 GB Fully Buffered DIMM 667 MHz
- Expansion slots: 2 PCI-Express (x8) half-length, full-height or optional riser card for 1 PCI-X (64-bit 133 MHz)
- Disk bays (total/hot-swap): 2/2 (3.5” form factor) or 4/4 (2.5” form factor)
- Maximum internal storage: 600 GB 3.5" hot-swap SAS or up to 2.0 TB simple-swap SATA or 293.6 GB 2.5" hot-swap SAS
- Network interface: Integrated dual Gigabit Ethernet
- Power supply (std/max): 670W capacity
- Raid Support: Integrated RAID-0, -1, -10, optional RAID-5, -6
- Systems Management: IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager, Integrated Service Processor, Diagnostic LEDs, drop-down light path diagnostics panel, Automatic Server Restart, optional Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine, IBM Systems Director, IBM ServerGuide™ and optional Remote Deployment Manager
- Operating systems supported: Microsoft® Windows Server® 2003, Red Hat Enterprise Linux®, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, TurboLinux Enterprise Server, Novell NetWare and VMware ESX Server
- Limited warranty: 3-year customer replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty
User Reviews (1)
flexible setup and optional components
works with both 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch SAS drives for raw storage
good support for virtualisation, comes with feature-rich management tools
Director software gives sorted, well-organized views of components on the network
good access times to hosted files, can handle higher demand times gracefully
Ethernet cable retention widget is unusual, takes some getting used to
power button is recessed and tiny, need a reference diagram to even find it
You may also like...